5 Reasons why you should Exfoliate
1. Skin Care products are able to penetrate the skin better.
Exfoliation helps remove the dead skin cells that block your products from reaching their full potential. When you exfoliate the dead skin cells it helps your products absorb better, which in return gives you better results from your products and who wouldn't doesn't love that!
2. Evens out Skin tone
This would include anyone who suffers from melasma (pregnancy mask), and what I like to call "wisdom spots" aka sunspots or aging spots :(. Exfoliation would help these issues and if you coupled with professional brightening products you could diminish or even completely rid yourself of those pesky areas. But please remember to keep to keep these areas at bay you do need to keep up on your skin care regimen.
3. Improves Skin Texture
Removing the dead cells will also help with the appearance of the skin, this includes those fine lines and small wrinkles you've started to notice or maybe want to keep away longer. This is seriously one of the simplest anti-aging steps you can add to your regimen.
Also another plus this simple step can help minimize the appearance of large pores. So stop caking your makeup on these areas and start exfoliating. I suggest starting small, shoot for two times a week, max three times. Don't want to over do it.
4. Helps Prevent Breakouts!
How you ask? I, cleanse so that should be enough, right??
When we don't exfoliate our skin, our dead skin cells buildup. This is especially important for acne prone skin types. This buildup of dead skin cells plays a part in the making of your breakouts!
I highly suggest 2-3 times a week, depending on how sensitive your skin is. Even adding in a salicylic acid wash would be great. Salicylic acid is a way to chemically exfoliate but also helps clear out the pores from buildup. You can over do it, with acne prone skin and cause more harm than good. Chat with your Esthetician to help you get a regimen in place.
5. Smoother, more vibrant looking skin.
If you want smoother, more vibrant skin then it's time to start exfoliating. If you wear makeup, then wouldn't you love it if your makeup application looked smooth? Seriously one of the best makeup tips I can teach you, prepping the skin before hand. You may even notice you can use less foundation.
Alright now that your excited to go and exfoliate your probably wondering ' What the heck do I use?' There are so many options, do I use a scrub, sponge, wash cloth, or even chemical route. So many options.
I personal prefer for home care a gentle route. Exfoliation should NOT be painful! I repeat if your scrub your using actually hurts your skin, stop using it immediately. It may mean your skin is to sensitive for this type of exfoliation or it could mean you've over done it, by exfoliating to much. For home care 2-3 times a week, unless directed otherwise from your Esthetician and please leave the deeper exfoliating techniques for a trained licensed professional.
So back to home care, like I said I personally prefer a gentle route. We offer some great options in our retail area.
Circadia also has a great gentle cleansers that also exfoliate the skin.
Micro-Exfoliating Honey Cleanser (one of our top sellers) is safe and gentle for everyday use. The beads in this cleanser are perfectly circular, so they will never scratch or tear your skin. They are made out of natural bees wax, which will help with oil control.
Cleansing Gel with Salicylic Acid deep cleans, while beta-hydroxy salicylic acid helps to soften and exfoliate. Works wonderful for grade 3 acne, blackheads, comodones and blemishes
Amandola Milk Cleanser is our go to for hyper-pigmentation and aged skin this cleanser has hydration, gentle exfoliation with brightening qualities using lactic and mandelic acids.
Sugar scrub - from Jessa's Skin Care, We love her products! She has a great organic/ natural line. This specific product is also great for full body exfoliation. (If you wax or get sugared, you want this product, I promise).
Now your exfoliating journey doesn't stop there. If your truly wanting to kick start this process I highly suggest a professional treatment. This includes Microdermabrasion, Dermaplaning and Chemical Peels. Before you get to nervous about a chemical peel, I can truly promise that the product we have here at Mona's Style Salon & Spa will give you results without pain.
Maybe you have an idea of what these treatments are all about and maybe you have no clue. Let me explain each one and their benefits to help you understand.
- Microderambrasion this is a mechanical form of exfoliation done with a machine that has crystals and suction. This treatment is painless ( most of my clients fall asleep during).
- Dermaplaning is a mechanical form of exfoliation done with a blade. This not only removes dead skin cells but your vellus (aka peach fuzz) hair as well.
So this leaves our chemical peels. We have a few options from gentle with no down time to let's get down to business my face is ready for a change full peeling.
- Lactic Acid Peel this is wonderful to start with great for most skin types, ideal for aging, dry and sensitive skin types. Fitzpatrick I-VI. Exfoliating with hydration gives you the perfect glow.
- Alpha-Beta Peel has the perfect blend of acids to exfoliate without harshness, irritation or inflammation. This is perfect for most skin types, ideal for combination, congestion & oily prone skin types. Great for acne prone skin due to it antibacterial qualities.
- Vitamin A Accelerator is designed to accelerate physical peeling from the inside out without creating damage to the skin. Suitable for all skin types - aging, dry, fine lines, brightening of post- inflammatory pigmentation, photo damaged.
- MandeliClear Peel System is a deeper peel designed to treat pigmentation issues; brightening of post- inflammatory pigmentation due to acne, melasma or photo damage, mild acne scarring.